This copyright statement applies to all photography & images found on Music Speaks Louder. 

The photographs contained on Music Speaks Louder are the property of Music Speaks Louder unless otherwise noted and are protected by Canadian and International copyright laws.

© Music Speaks Louder.

TRENDING NEWS

Photo: Getty Images

LIFE AFTER COVID-19

A new survey suggested that more than half of concert attendees might not buy tickets for upcoming events in 2020.

Billboard magazine recently reported that the live music industry in the U.S. had been expecting a 30% year-over-year income during 2020, with more than 50 million advance tickets sold. Michael Rapino, the Chief Executive at Live Nation, told media outlets in December that concert tickets are an “incredible bargain” for live event fans. He anticipated higher ticket prices and sales through 2020. The COVID-19 pandemic instead forced the sector to a halt, with losses expected to be in the region of $10 to $12 billion if the ban continues until July. 

In the survey, 47% of 1,000 consumers said that the idea of going to a major public event would “scare me for a long time”; 44% said they would attend fewer such events. A total of 56% said their next ticket purchase would take place anywhere from “a few months” to “possibly never” after live music returned to major indoor venues. 

 

The survey also suggested that hygiene issues would retain high awareness after the pandemic recedes, with two thirds citing long-lasting concerns over venue sanitation and food-service areas, while 59 percent saying they’d remain worried about “general proximity to strangers.”

However, 46 percent of people responding said they would value public events more than they had in the past, while 53 percent confirmed a “pent-up desire to attend the events I love” – offering the possibility that people were aware their attitudes would change in time.

The study, by Performance Research and Full Circle Research Co., was noted to have a margin of error of 3 percent.

Photo: Getty Images

RICHIE SAMBORA

Richie Sambora is selling the rights to his nearly 200-song catalog to a song-acquisition investment company Hipgnosis Songs Fund, Hipgnosis announced on Monday.

Based on the number of hits that Richie Sambora co-wrote, it’s safe to assume Richie Sambora is walking away with a hefty paycheck. Still, the real winner here is music-manager-turned-investor Merck Mercuriadis, who just added “Livin’ on a Prayer,” “You Give Love a Bad Name,” and “Wanted Dead or Alive” to an already extensive list of hits he’s acquired since his company, Hipgnosis, hit the London Stock Exchange in 2018. 

 

“In uncertain times such as this you are reminded of the power of great songs and great music, and amongst the greatest set of songs of the last 35 years are the incomparable songs Richie Sambora co-wrote for Bon Jovi and other great artists,” Mercuriadis said in a statement. 

 

A quick look at the Hipgnosis Songs Fund shows a clear reasoning to the acquisitions. The songs are big, timeless hits with intellectual property he can leverage beyond streaming to other mass media. And with prominent features in every drunken karaoke night as well as a slate of video games, TV shows, and movies, Sambora’s co-written Bon Jovi tunes fit that bill. The songs are still, of course, popular for traditional listening and the band had more than 15 million monthly listeners on Spotify. 

 

Richie Sambora’s catalog is the highest-profile purchase in Hipgnosis’s already busy 2020. In January, Mercuriadis and Co. bought catalogs from songwriter Ammar Malik and producer Emile Haynie, who have writing credits on major hit songs including “Moves Like Jagger” and “Payphone” by Maroon 5, and “Runaway” by Kanye West. Hipgnosis also bought out the copyrights on Blink 182 co-founder Tom DeLonge’s catalog, getting access to “All the Small Things” and “What’s My Age Again?,” among others.

Photo: Getty Images

CANCELLED or POSTPONED

The Michael Jackson Estate has donated $300,000 to help three communities that have been impacted by COVID-19. The estate will give $100,000 each to Broadway Cares, MusiCares and Nevada’s Three Square Food Bank.

Paul Stanley of KISS tweeted 

“No people... This is NOT another flu. EVERYONE who has minimized the extent, ferocity and contagiousness of Covid-19 has one by one been proven WRONG. The longer you wait to take control the bigger the risk to you and more importantly the people who are trying to control this." 

Nikki Sixx tweeted “Went for a drive today to look around. Kinda blew my mind on how irresponsible people were being. I saw people walking in and out of Barnes n Nobles, drove past my mall and people were walking in and out acting like nothing is wrong (Nobody was wearing latex gloves or masks). I see spring break is still on in Florida.” He continued: “WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? I will protect my family at all costs. So should you. Young people are acting so cavalier. I’ve heard people say this is inconvenient. How inconvenient is death? Please be smart. Don’t be stupid." 

Neal Schon of Journey stated

"So I’m getting frustrated and concerned with many that are refusing to abide by the common-sense rules that have been laid out by state government officials… IT’S NOT GOING TO GET BETTER WITHOUT ALL YOUR HELP.” He added: “STAY HOME PLEASE so that more do not get infected with the Coronavirus.”

 

The Foo Fighters, Elton John and Celine Dion have all postponed dates because of the COVID-19 health scare.

 

Fans of Brooks & Dunn will have to wait until late summer to see the duo's first headlining tour in nearly a decade. The Zac Brown Band has opted to cancel all of its remaining 2020 tour dates because of the continued spread of the coronavirus. 

* UPDATED *

The Coronavirus pandemic has crippled the live music industry.

 

With AEG Presents and Live Nation Entertainment now grounding all performances until the end of April (no confirmed date has been announced), it marked another blow to the industry following the cancellation of the South by Southwest and Coachella festivals. 

The iHeart Music Awards that was originally scheduled for March 29 from the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, has been postponed until a later date to be determined.

The Academy of Country Music Awards (ACM Awards) were slated to take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on April 5 and broadcast live via CBS. The new date will be sometime in September, per a press release.

 

The Melbourne International Jazz Festival 2020 which was scheduled to happen from May 29 to June 7 has been cancelled.

The Download Festival in Melbourne and Sydney which was scheduled for March 20 (Melbourne) and March 21 (Sydney) has been cancelled.  

The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, which was scheduled to take place April 23-26 and April 30 - May 3, will now be moved to a later date in the fall.

The Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival which was scheduled to start on June 11-14, 2020 will now be held September 24-27, 2020.

Organizers of the Glastonbury Festival have announced that its 2020 edition will no longer take place over growing fears of the coronavirus. "Clearly this was not a course of action we hoped to take for our 50th-anniversary event, but following the new government measures announced this week – and in times of such unprecedented uncertainty – this is now our only viable option," festival organizers said in a statement.

South by Southwest 2020 (SXSW) was scheduled to run from March 13 to March 22 but was officially cancelled on March 6 due to the growing fears of the coronavirus.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony for the class of 2020 has been postponed until a later date.